Music is a voyage of discovery. One that now goes much further with the creation of the ZOOM ARQ AR-96 Aero RhythmTrak.
The ZOOM ARQ AR-96 Aero RhythmTrak is an all-in-one production and live performance instrument which includes an integrated drum machine, sequencer, synthesizer, looper, and MIDI controller with a built-in accelerometer. Even more, ARQ is freedom. With its wireless Bluetooth® Ring Controller, you can escape the booth, move the music, and get in front of the crowd.
Base Station and Ring Controller
The Base Station
The ARQ AR-96 Base Station houses 468 drum/instrument sounds (“one-shot” sampled waveform sounds), 70 types of synthesizer sounds, and dozens of digital effects. Dual 1/4″ line-level audio inputs enable phrase recording and looping. There are also stereo 1/4″ line-level outputs, as well as a dedicated 1/4″ headphone jack with its own volume control. A USB port allows connection to your computer, and an SD card slot lets you save patterns and loops, import prerecorded audio, and update firmware.
The Ring Controller
The detachable Ring Controller communicates with the Base Station, as well as DAWs, via wireless Bluetooth. It offers 96 velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads for clip launching and
playing drum sounds, instrument sounds, and sequences. Phrases and sounds can be played chromatically, or you can choose from dozens of preset scales in any key. And with ARQ’s Firmware V2.0, a new pad layout in Instrument mode now
provides you with a visual for where instruments are mapped on the ARQ AR-96, and Scale layout maps out the note range of the instrument selected.
Its unique Grip Detection automatically prevents accidental triggering of the pads under your hand. There are dedicated buttons at the top and bottom of the Ring for REC/PLAY/STOP, as well as Filter/Delay/Reverb/MASTER FX on/off. An onboard
3-axis accelerometer generates MIDI control messages to alter sounds and effects in real time. Its internal Lithium-Ion battery automatically charges when the Ring is placed on the Base Station.
Load Your Own Samples
To further expand your music-making possibilities, you can load also your own samples into the ARQ. Simply import WAV files into the internal synth engine’s oscillator and you’re ready to edit them like you would a sampler.
The Only Drum Machine for Performers
Not only does ARQ AR-96 allow you to create incredible drum parts and patterns, but you can also use the Ring Controller as a live instrument. Play it while mounted to the Base Station, or remove it to take your performance to the front of the stage. ARQ comes with a multitude of PCM drum and instrument sounds which you can edit right on the unit during a live set These can be organized into 384 genre-specific kits.The ARQ’s Instrument Mode lets you easily view and edit pad and scale layouts, so you can make adjustments in real time. You can also develop 20 kits of your own, complete with effects. Once you perform with the AR-96, you’ll never use another drum machine again.
It’s a Circular Sequencer—No Computer Necessary
Traditional devices take a linear approach to sequencing, but the AR-96 is anything but traditional. For the first time, you can visualize your music as a true loop, up to 5 parts at a time.
Individual patterns or complete songs can be constructed one step at a time or by recording a real-time performance, with an onboard mixer for setting volumes, muting, and soloing. Instruments can be assigned to single or multiple pads and up to 3 parts can be created at a time. Up to 33 parts can be played back simultaneously, and the timbre or note of each part can be changed with the touch of a button. 384 patterns can be combined in any order to form a complete song, then flattened into an audio loop that can be played back from a single pad—all without the use of a computer.
To simplify pattern creation, ARQ V2.0 has a new arpeggiator function which includes standard, polyphonic, and sequential settings. You can control the notes and the repeat rate of the arpeggiator with the AR-96’s Ring Controller. And an updated Pad layout provides a visual guide for instrument sequencing, while the Scale now layout allows you view and edit pad length.
It’s a Comprehensive Synthesizer
The AR-96’s powerful sound engine offers 468 sampled waveforms that can be pitch-shifted as they are played over multiple pads—as well as 70 types of synthesizer sounds that allow you to build completely original timbres. Choose from 538 different oscillator types for sonic variety, then add digital effects such as filtering, delay, and reverb, along with sound-shaping controls like envelope generators and stepped or smooth modulation.
All-New Edit and KIT Mode
Edit Mode on the ARQ AR-96 is now visually enhanced with more dynamic graphics and additional parameters. Two sync pitches give you more flexibility in sound design, and MIDI mapping
lets you assign knobs to specific functions.
An updated KIT mode allows you to change the number of instruments in the ARQ’s pad layout. You can use up to 32 instruments for more creative flexibility, and each instrument can be played with the ARQ’s scale keyboard to create bass, chord backing, and melody components more easily. You can also copy,
edit, backup, and erase patterns with ease.
It’s a Loop(er)
The AR-96 allows you to create completely original loops from onboard sounds or patterns, or by capturing external audio. Set start and end points, change the pitch if desired, choose between forward or reverse playback, then assign each loop to a different controller pad. Up to 16 loops can be played simultaneously and synchronized to the same tempo. ARQ makes creating loops a lot more fun.
It’s a Wireless MIDI Controller
Use the Ring for wireless control of all your MIDI instruments and devices connected to your computer—samplers, synths, and drum machines, as well as MIDI-enabled effects processors. Its 96 pads are velocity-sensitive and can also send aftertouch (MIDI messages generated based on the pressure applied to the pads once they are being held down).
Accelerate your Performance
The Ring’s onboard 3-axis accelerometer can be used to change sounds and effects in real time. Wave and tilt it to alter onboard effects parameters and to generate MIDI control messages. You can even link it to your digital mixing console and use the accelerometer to fly sounds around the room. ARQ utilizes wireless Bluetooth LE for low power consumption, giving you lots of performance time between battery charges.
The New AR-96 Editor
View and access all of ARQ’s functions through your Mac/PC with the new AR-96 Editor. The editor lets you easily make changes or adjustments on your laptop during live performances or in the studio.
Break Out. Break Free. Break Away.
Take your performance to places you’ve never been before. Express yourself and get closer to your audience. Open up a world of new options for music production. Create in ways that were simply not possible until now.
The Zoom ARQ AR-96—see how instrumental an instrument can be.
Create More with Your ARQ
Includes Ableton Live 9 Lite
With the ARQ and Ableton Live 9 Lite, you have everything the modern music creator needs. Record your tracks quickly and intuitively, enhancing them with studio-quality effects like EQ, compression, reverb, delay, chorus, filter, and more. Plus, Ableton’s performance workflows let you take your music to the stage where you can mix and record live.
- Drum machine, sequencer, synthesizer, looper, clip launcher, and MIDI controller in one device
- Includes 468 drum/instrument sounds (“one-shot” sampled waveform sounds), 70 types of synthesizer sounds, and dozens of digital effects
- Ring Controller can be used wirelessly as a handheld aerial instrument and to launch audio clips from DAW software
- 96 velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads and 160 programmable color LEDs
- Grip Detection to automatically prevent accidental note triggering
- 3-axis accelerometer for altering effects parameters and sending MIDI control messages
- Dedicated buttons for sequence REC/PLAY/STOP and for effects on/off
- Use up to 5 effects simultaneously, applied to overall drum kit or individual drum sounds
- Split mode allows one instrument to be assigned to multiple pads for ease of input
- Onboard mixer for setting volumes and muting/soloing parts
- Flexible precount, quantize, swing, and beat settings
- Audible and/or visual click
- Dual 1/4″ inputs for phrase recording and loop creation
- Audio capture from patterns and songs, from SD card, or from incoming audio signal
- Create up to 96 mono or stereo loops, play up to 16 mono loops simultaneously
- Loop start and end points can be adjusted manually
- Loop tempo synchronization, pitch change, and reverse playback functions
- Programmable synthesizer engine
- 538 oscillator types and 16-voice polyphony
- Sound-shaping controls include effects, envelope generators, and stepped and smooth modulation
- Play sounds chromatically, or choose from dozens of preset scales in any key
- Adjustable pad velocity and pressure sensitivity
- Dedicated tap tempo button for synchronization
- Selectable LED light-show animations
- Dual 1/4″ line outputs and separate 1/4″ headphone output with dedicated volume control
- USB port and SD card slot
- Bluetooth LE for low power consumption and extended usage times
In the Box:
- Base Station (AR-96)
- Ring Controller (AR-96c)
- AC adapter (AD-14)
- Operation Manual
- Ableton Live 9 Lite software download code